Online Shopping Safety
Benefits of shopping online
Shopping online is convenient, making it worth your while to try it out. Online shopping sites can operate with lower costs can pass on savings to you, the customer. Plus you have access to a global market which can make for fierce competition, increasing the chance you’ll enjoy greater discounts.
When you shop online you can get Lower Prices because there is no added expense of a physical retail store and there are efficiencies of computerized ordering and fulfillment systems.
Conveniently online shops are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can do your shopping in the comfort of your own home office or mobile phone, traffic, parking lots, shopping trolleys and crowded malls. You can purchase from a store located anywhere in the world and if you shop in your country you usually receive your order at the doorstep the next day. International postage as it is usually means you receive your order in 7-10 days. Now that’s convenience!
Greater Choice. On the Internet your can do simple search for your product instead of running around the mall in town all day. There is a large number of stores online, meaning you have far greater choice. See www.KeepingInternetShoppingSimple.com and /or www.DailyShopper.com.au (Both site we rate as 5 Star for online shopping.)
You need information and recommendations on the products you want to buy. The Internet gives you access to all the information you need. Detailed product information, reviews, and price comparisons, all at the click of your mouse..
Potential risks of shopping online
There are some risks associated with online shopping that you should be aware of.
Fraud – Credit card fraud is not limited to the Internet. Credit card fraud has been around for a long time, and it can happen anywhere, anytime that you use your credit card to make a purchase. But there are steps you can take to greatly limit the chances of it happening to youMake sure you check out the Term & Conditions and Delivery Charges . Make sure it is the product you want.
By using a specific debit card and payment systems like PayPal your privacy is usually held. We know people are hesitant to provide personal details over the Internet, fearing that the information they provide may be misused. Check the details of your site and keep yourself informed..
When you go online shopping with sites like www.DailyShopper.com.au, www.KeepingInternetShoppingSimple.com and www.AdBuySell.net ;which are part of the AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network; whose Online Shopping partners are credentialed, you’re choosing reliable brands with a strong reputation.
Before they even become an AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network partner, each company is carefully screened by AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network. Are they an established business with a physical business address? Do they have SSL security for credit card payments? Do they have solid ordering, fulfillment and returns policies? What about their privacy statement? AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network looks at all these aspects and more.
Then once we agree to accept them as a partner, AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network invites feedback about the company from any subscribers who have spent money there.
AdBuySell Online Classifieds- network receives emails each day from subscribers. And when a member complains about a particular Online Shopping reward partner, we listen. We don’t want a bad partner destroying our reputation and damaging the delicate thread of trust that our subscribers have in us.
Payments and credit card security
There are several advantages to using a credit card when shopping online, for example, worldwide acceptance, and the sheer convenience of using a card. Also, most financial institutions limit your liability for unauthorised use of your card, providing you take certain precautions and don’t contribute to the unauthorised use.
We suggest you use a separate Debit Credit Card – most banks now offer debit cards where you can deposit funds then use that card to make online purchases. Contact your bank directly. In addition you could see up a PayPal account see www.Paypal.com for details
What steps should you take to ensure your credit card details are safe?
- Use a web browser with SSL security. Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator version 2 or higher already have this encryption technology built in. This technology keeps the data you transmit over the Internet private. Download the very latest version web browser to ensure you are using the most up-to-date security.
- Look for the locked padlock or unbroken key icon in your browser window when you’re about to enter your card details. These icons tell you that SSL security is now active.
- Keep a record of the transactions you make online, including the date, amount, invoice or receipt number, what the payment was for, and the web address of the company. Most companies will email an order confirmation to you, and it’s a simple matter of printing this out and filing with your records.
- Notify your bank immediately if you become aware of an unauthorised transaction on your credit card account.
- Find out about, and understand, the conditions and policies that apply to your credit card, and what you need to do to limit your liability in the event of an unauthorised transaction. Call your bank or visit their web site to find out this information.
Avoiding nasty surprises
As mentioned earlier surprises is all about being prepared. Before you purchase, look into the following:
- Are you sure the product is exactly what you want? If there’s even a hint of doubt, contact the online store’s customer service, via email or phone. You might like to ask if it’s suitable for the purpose you had in mind, or just exactly how big (or small) it is. Make sure you know what you’re paying for.
- How much will delivery cost, and how long will it take to arrive? These are very important questions to ask. The answers should be readily available in the store’s customer service section. Look for ‘Freight’, ‘Shipping’, or ‘Delivery’. Sometimes delivery depends on the number of items or the weight of the items, and is therefore calculated as you submit your order. If this is the case, you should still be able to get an idea based on the guides they provide. If not, ask customer service to find out. Keep yourself informed! How long it takes to receive your order will also depend on stock availability. If this information is not clearly available, make it your business to find out by again asking customer service.
- Returns and refunds; are they possible, and under what conditions can you get a refund?
- What is this company going to do with your personal details? Be sure to check out their privacy statement.
- As was mentioned above in the payments section, keeping an accurate record of your purchase is important. In a real bricks-and-mortar store, you’d normally keep your receipt after a purchase, in case you need to return the item for refund or exchange. In the online world, having the details of your transaction at hand will make things a lot easier when you enquirer about an item that hasn’t turned up, or asking for a refund or return.
You will normally receive a confirmation of your order by email, and the easiest thing to do is keep the email or print it out and file in a safe place.
All this seems like a lot of effort however it’s worth it for the peace of mind you’ll enjoy. We’re quite sure that in the end, you’ll find the benefits of shopping online will still outweigh the associated risks and necessary measures.